Jesus is not offering us merely a better life. He is making the claim that there is only life in Him… life abundant, life eternal, and life on mission. When you follow Christ, you will walk the right path, produce the right fruit, and stand firm in life’s storms. – Pastor Dave
Open: Have you ever gone the wrong direction or eaten something that you didn’t realize was rotten? Describe the situation:
Read: Matthew 7:13-8:1; John 14:6; Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5 1.
1. Most Americans love reality TV. It’s blunt, honest, and unfiltered. Why do you think we are so drawn to this kind of entertainment, but struggle when confronted with the reality of life? How has the Sermon on the Mount shown Jesus uncensored?
2. Jesus describes two paths. What are the differences? When you consider current culture, what does the wide gate look like? How is it easy and popular? What makes the narrow way difficult?
3. Describe what false prophets look like in our day: How does what we do reveal who we really are? In what ways can we use what we do to mask who we really are? How does Matthew 7:21-23 challenge the motives behind our good works/fruit? Why do you think this passage is considered one of the most scary in all of Scripture? How could someone do good works, but still be a “worker of lawlessness”?
4. How important is the right foundation for a home? How do storms reveal the strength or weakness of a foundation? How is Jesus both the right path and right foundation for our life? What are some things that can weaken our foundation in Christ?
5. As Jesus ends this sermon, the crowd is astonished. Why? Chapter 8 reveals that after the sermon many followed Him. How could such a difficult sermon insight such a response? What steps do you need to take in your relationship with Christ?
Pray: Pray that you would be a consistent salt and light in your relationships by living with the Kingdom in mind.
Memorize/Meditate: Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Matthew 7:24