There is no denying that all we have comes from God. As a result, faith and finances are deeply intertwined. The problem is that the more you have, the more it can have you. So God established tithing as a pattern of financial stewardship. Tithing removes the power that money can have over us and realigns our faith with the God who gives all that we need. - Pastor Dave
Open: Have you ever given money to a gospel cause? Did you have any reservations? Why or why not? How did it make you feel? What sacrifice did you need to make in order to fulfill your giving commitment?
Read: Luke 16; Genesis 14:18-20; Leviticus 27:30-32; Deuteronomy 26:10-11; 1 Corinthians 16:1-2
1. Why is giving such a difficult topic to address among Christians? Why do you think the Bible spends so much time talking about money and stewardship? Describe the context of Luke 16: Who is listening and what parables did Jesus just share with the crowd (Luke 15)?
2. The fundamental principle of biblical stewardship is that God owns everything. Can you think of a verse that proves this truth? In what ways do we act as owners instead of stewards? Describe the role of steward:
3. Jesus gives a parable on stewardship in Luke 16. Verse 1 it says that the steward was “wasting his possessions.” In what ways do you waste money and possessions today? List some frivolous ways we spend money. How does our spending prove whom we are serving?
4. In the parable, what changed the steward’s response to the master’s money? What did he do in response? How was this steward looking out for his future? Why does Jesus commend the steward for his actions?
5. Jesus describes the connection between faithfulness and stewardship in verse 10. While not explicitly, how is a “tithe/tenth” an example of being faithful in little? Describe the “tithing” process: Why do so many Christians struggle with tithing? How does the New Testament describe generosity as the heart behind giving? What are some things God might be asking you to “uncommit” from in order to commit to faithful giving as a steward? Pray that you would be so overwhelmed with God’s compassion for you that you would be compelled to fulfill God’s commission through you.
Pray: Pray for opportunities to talk about God’s compassion with others.
Memorize/Meditate: Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come. 1 Corinthians 16:1-2 O