The church isn’t perfect. It’s filled with many “spots” and “wrinkles.” But when we experience the unity and power of the gospel, the church becomes a place that displays God’s glory. Unity reveals His character and power accomplishes His mission
Open: Have you ever attempted to accomplish a task alone only to find it much easier when you had help? Describe the situation: How did having someone help you make the task easier and more enjoyable?
Read: John 17; Ephesians 5; 1 Corinthians 1
1. In Ephesians 5, Paul describes a future moment when the church will be “without spot or wrinkle.” What “spots” and “wrinkles” do you see in the church in general today? In what ways have these observations changed throughout the years? How have you experienced these personally? How have you caused some of these imperfections?
2. We live in an increasingly connected, yet fragmented society. While we are more connected than ever, we are also lonelier than ever. Do you believe this is true? Why or why not? How does this effect the mission and ministry of the church? How does this make being a part of the church more difficult?
3. Paul describes the importance of unity in 1 Corinthians 1. How is unity a reflection of Christ? How is unity more than mere agreement of beliefs? How is the unity of the church centered on the gospel of Christ? How does this fulfill Christ’s prayer in John 17?
4. How does the world view wisdom and power? How is the gospel of Christ foolishness in the world’s eyes? How does God demonstrate His power in the foolishness of the gospel?
5. How does the power of the gospel give us the power to live on mission? What are the areas of your life where you feel inadequate? How could this be seen as a moment to “boast in the Lord’s power”? How is the church the demonstration of God’s power? Pray for Crossroads to be unified in purpose and effective in mission.
Pray: Pray for your commitment to join God’s role in His gospel mission.
Memorize/Meditate: But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 1 Corinthians 1:27-29