Open: Describe a time you were generous: How did it make you feel? How did it encourage your faith?
Read: 2 Corinthians 8-9; Psalm 24:1; Ecclesiastes 5; Matthew 6:24; 1 Timothy 6:10; Hebrews 13:5-6
1. Why do you think discussions surrounding generosity and giving in the church make us so nervous? What misunderstandings and assumptions do we have about generosity and giving that make us fearful of the topic?
2. How does our misunderstanding about ownership and greed affect our generosity? What is the difference between giving and generosity? In what ways are we as Americans great at giving but not very generous?
3. In what ways does Divine ownership (God as the owner of everything) help free us to be generous? How does sowing and reaping relate to Divine ownership? Describe the concepts of sowing sparingly and bountifully; what are the differences?
4. What does it mean to tithe (give 10%)? How is generosity the greater command of the New Testament? In what ways is a tithe meant to be the basis of giving and generosity the faith of giving?
5. How does generosity bring greater contentment? How have you seen contentment grow a heart of generosity in your own life? What are the areas of life that you lack contentment?
6. How does generosity multiply impact in your life personally and expand ministry regionally? How would you rate your generosity?
Pray: That you would grow in generosity. Pray specifically for the person you will serve through the Crossroads Generosity Challenge.
Memorize/Meditate: Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7 O