Many Christians have great intentions but very little intentionality. There is a desire for growth, but little purposeful movement. The only way to move good intentions to a life of intentionality is with the next step. Every believer has a right next step in the journey of faith. For some it’s a step toward Christ, for others it’s a step forward with Christ, and for some it’s a call to step out for Christ.
Open: Describe a time you had good intentions but failed to respond with intentionality. How did that experience leave you feeling?
Read: 2 Peter 1
1. In what ways do you notice Christians expressing good intentions about life with Christ but fail at living with intentionality? How is the intentionality gap demonstrated in our culture? Why do you believe this perceived gap exists in the church today?
2. Peter is battling false teaching. What were the false teachers saying? How does 2 Peter 1:3 confront the notion that we lack things spiritually? In what ways do we demonstrate lack in our spiritual journeys? What is the one thing you feel you lack spiritually right now? How has God already supplied this?
3. Why is it necessary to remember all that God has already done for us in order to take a next step? In other words, how does remembering actually move us forward? Describe what God has done for you personally.
4. 2 Peter 3:5 challenges us to take the next step in our spiritual journey; describe some of the words that Peter uses. How do these words provide an image of a dance? Peter then lists different areas where we should take some next steps. What different categories are on display through these words (2 Peter 1:5-8)? What next step do you need to take spiritually and in the church?
5. This section ends with a warning that if we lack the next step in these areas we end up ineffective and unfruitful, failing to live out what Christ intends. How have you seen this demonstrated in areas where you haven’t taken a step with Christ?
Pray: Pray that you would take the next step that God is leading you to in your personal spiritual journey and the church.
Memorize/Meditate: ‘His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence’...for this reason, make every effort to supplement your faith...’ 2 Peter 1:3,5